Prof Charles Knowles MBBChir, PhD, FRCS, FACCRS (Hon)
- Professor of Surgery & Hon Cons. Colorectal Surgeon Barts Health NHS Trust
- Clinical Director of Research and Lead for Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic London
- Hon. Professor of Experimental Therapeutics, University College London
- Hon. Professor of Colorectal Surgery, University of Antwerp
- Hon. Consultant Colorectal Surgeon, St Marks Hospital
Prof Charles Knowles is Professor of Surgery at Queen Mary University of London, Lead for Colorectal Surgery at the Cleveland Clinic London and an honorary Consultant Colorectal surgeon at Barts Health NHS Trust and St Marks Hospitals. He qualified from the University of Cambridge and undertook general surgical training and a PhD in London.
His main research interests cover the development and evaluation of new technologies for the diagnosis and treatment of chronic bowel diseases (especially neuromodulation and cell therapies). Clinically, he is a key international opinion leader on pelvic floor disorders and GI neuromuscular diseases.
Prof Knowles is the inaugural Clinical Director of Research at the Cleveland Clinic London and hold honorary chairs at UCL (experimental therapeutics) and the University of Antwerp. He has authored over 260 peer-reviewed publications (H-index: 60) as well as contributing to major international colorectal and general surgical texts, national guidance and health policy documents.